VMware introduced the provision of the migration instrument emigrate an on-prem VMware Cloud Director deployment to VMware Cloud Director service in November 2022.
This weblog will show tips on how to carry out a migration of an on-prem VMware Cloud Director deployment to VMware Cloud Director service utilizing the migration instrument offered by VMware, as defined within the documentation How Do I Migrate from On-premises VMware Cloud Director to VMware Cloud Director service by Utilizing the Migration Instrument.
An summary of the steps required is:
- Setup the necessities to run the migration instrument if this might be carried out from a Home windows machine
- Create a migration.properties file to learn into the migration instrument
- Run the migration instrument (obtain the most recent model from https://github.com/vmware-samples/cloud-director-service-migration and extract to the host you’ll carry out the migration from
Earlier than operating the migration instrument, you’ll need to put in the required packages for Linux or on Home windows, use a shell similar to cygwin to run the instrument. The under directions show the migration instrument on Home windows utilizing cygwin. For a full checklist of the migration instrument necessities, see Migration Instrument Conditions.
For cygwin set up curl, jq, zip, ssh, scp, sshpass, and md5sum.
Create a Migration Properties File
You shouldn’t have to create the migration.properties file to do a migration, nevertheless it makes it simpler to see the information in a file, and if it’s important to rerun the script for any cause, you don’t need to maintain retyping the identical data in.
For cygwin, within the default location when opening it, CD to /tmp and create the file referred to as migration.properties. File within the following keys and their corresponding values:
- SITE_NAME – that is the VMware Cloud Director website identify that might be migrated, similar to vcd-site1
- SITE_ADMIN_USERNAME – this may usually be the administrator account
- IS_APPLIANCE – tells the instrument whether or not the VMware Cloud Director is an equipment deployment
- CSP_ORG_ID – that is the lengthy org ID of your group within the VMware portal. For extra data on tips on how to discover this data, see
- CSP_ORG_REFRESH_TOKEN – that is the token generated within the VMware portal to make use of for operating duties similar to associations, migrations, and different features. For extra data, see How Do I Generate an API Token.
- CELL_USERNAME – this may usually be root
- DBHOST_USERNAME – this may usually be root
Right here is an instance of a migration.properties file stuffed out.
Word that in case your VMware Cloud Director occasion is just not publicly obtainable, similar to a lab occasion for dev/check/UAT, you’ll need so as to add one further line to the migration.properties file. The migration instrument connects to VCD to confirm the model earlier than trying a migration and does so by connecting to the general public DNS identify listed within the migration.properties file, so if it’s not publicly obtainable, add the road under with the doable values within the hyperlink. You’ll need to exchange model with the key model quantity being migrated, similar to 10.3, 10.4, and many others.
Under is an instance of my stuffed out migration.properties file with UPGRADE_CATEGORY added because the VCD occasion is just not publicly obtainable.
In case you run the migration script and it fails for any cause previous the purpose the place it begins studying within the migration.properties file, you’ll need to open the properties file and re-add the road for UPGRADE_CATEGORY as it is going to be eliminated.
As soon as the migration.properties file has been accomplished, reserve it and open your cygwin bash or which ever bash you’re utilizing. Navigate to the folder that the migration instrument was extracted to and run the script by operating ./migrate.sh.
The script will immediate you line by line to just accept the values that have been entered within the migration.properties file, or if the file doesn’t exist, you’ll need to manually enter the knowledge when prompted.
- Migration properties file discovered, want to reuse. Enter y to learn within the entries from the properties file.
- On-prem VCD website FQDN identify (discovered: name_from_file). Enter y to make use of the worth from the properties file.
- On-prem VCD admin consumer identify (discovered: admin_user). Enter y to make use of the worth from the properties file.
- Enter admin password for for on-prem VCD website name_from_file. Enter the password for the admin account specified to connect with VCD.
- Is VCD name_from_file equipment primarily based? Enter y to specify it’s an equipment primarily based VCD.
- Username for cell name_from_file discovered. Enter y to make use of the consumer specified within the file.
- Enter password for cell name_from_file. Enter the password the account specified to connect with the VCD equipment.
- CSP ORG ID discovered csp_org_from_file. Enter y to make use of the org id specified within the file.
- CSP ORG refresh token discovered token_from_file. Enter y to make use of the CSP org token specified within the file.
- Enter CDI Title emigrate: This would be the identify of the CDS occasion within the VMware portal. Enter the identify you want the CDS to be referred to as. Word that this would be the website identify inside VCD as nicely.
Within the display screen shot under, you’ll be able to see that you’ll want to reply every questions per line.
The migration instrument will gather the database data from the VCD database cell, add it to an S3 bucket, create the CDS occasion and import the database dump to the brand new occasion. You may see within the display screen shot above on the final line within the backside pink field that it’s dumping the database from vcd-01a.corp.native to arrange to add it to an S3 bucket.
As soon as the database dump has accomplished, the script will add the recordsdata to an S3 bucket to be imported to create the CDS occasion. Within the display screen shot under, the highest pink field reveals that the recordsdata have been collected, then efficiently uploaded. The underside pink field reveals that VMware Cloud Director on prem equipment that’s being migrated is put into upkeep mode to keep away from adjustments within the configuration between the migration and the CDS occasion coming on-line.
You need to now see the CDS occasion that was migrated with the identify offered in the course of the migration.